What is SCRIP?
Dear Sanborn Christian School Supporter:
We're pleased to share some exciting news about a tuition fundraising program called SCRIP. This program is for EVERYONE and we invite you to give it a try!!!!
- Thinking of starting a family? Do you have children under 5 years old?
- Planning on having your children attend Sanborn Christian?
- Parents with children attending Western Christian or Unity Christian? The SCRIP funds can be transferred to those schools!
- Grandparents of current, or future, students? You can specify up to four different families as recipients of your SCRIP funds.
- Someone who wishes to support a family?
- Someone who wishes to anonymously support a family that you know may be in need of tuition assistance?
SCRIP is simply a word that means "substitute money". In other words, SCRIP is gift certificates from national and local retailers. These retailers include: Sanborn Foods, HyVee, Fareway, Fiesta Foods, BP gas stations, Sanborn Hardware Hank and many other local businesses. National businesses include: WalMart, Target, JCPenney, Kohls, Old Navy, Staples, Menards, Comfort Inn, Best Western, McDonald's and many others.
You're probably asking yourself how these stores help us raise money. It's simple -- SCRIP participating retailers agree to sell gift certificates to Sanborn Christian School at a discount. Member families like yours buy the certificates for full face value, they redeem them for full face value, and Sanborn Christian keeps the difference as revenue. 80% of this revenue is put directly into your child's tuition account or another's account that you specify (refer to attached registration form). 20% is kept by the SCRIP fund for operating costs and maintenance of the SCRIP Cash & Carry program.
SCRIP is exciting, because everyone wins:
- The retailer gets cash up front and repeat business
- Sanborn Christian raises money for tuition (over $8000 in tuition has been raised in a year)
The beauty of SCRIP is that you put your regular household shopping dollars to work. You earn money for tuition without spending a single additional penny. Just spend your regular shopping dollars with SCRIP at the stores that participate in the SCRIP program! SCRIP can be used for just about any household purchase, including food, clothing, gas, and dining out.
Here are a few examples of how some of our supporting families have made SCRIP work for them:
1) In one year, a future Sanborn Christian School family banked $507 towards their child's tuition.
2) Families who regularly use SCRIP can easily save between $150 and $250 in tuition each year.
3) Imagine the potential savings if grandparents & relatives were also contributing to these accounts!
We encourage you to give SCRIP a try and start saving tuition today! Orders must be brought to Sanborn Christian School office by 5pm on Mondays. Your order is available for pick-up on Friday mornings. Please pay attention to the School Bell or the “SCRIP News - Weekly Update” section as ordering dates and locations change during the summer months.
We also have a Cash & Carry SCRIP program. Some SCRIP business certificates are on-hand at school. They can be purchased and used immediately. These businesses include: Casey's, Fareway, HyVee, Pizza Ranch, Kohl's, WalMart, Shopko, Scheels, Sanborn Foods, Sanborn Golf & CC, Lewis Drug, Subway, McDonald's, and more!
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call the SCRIP coordinator: Heather Bakker @ 605-261-2794 or firstname.lastname@example.org
SANBORN CHRISTIAN SCHOOL
- SCRIP orders are processed weekly during the school year. A summer schedule will be published and may change during the summer months.
- An account number will be assigned to each family. All certificate orders for your numbers must be in ONE envelope and all checks in the envelope must be payable to SCS SCRIP. The checks are non-tax deductible because you receive a dollar for dollar value.
- SCS offers SCRIP as a promotion for the education of the students at Sanborn Christian School; therefore, 20% of the money collected will only be paid to the SCS SCRIP fund. 80% of the money collected will be applied to your family’s tuition. If you no longer have students at SCS, you may have 80%:
a. Applied to your outstanding tuition balance
b. Credited to up to 4 families' tuition
c. Credited to the tuition assistance fund at SCS
d. Banked for use at Western/Unity after any tuition balance at SCS is paid.
A written notice must be received within 60 days of the time your child(ren) leaves SCS if you have a balance in your SCRIP account. Otherwise, the balance will be transferred to the SCRIP fund.
- A ‘Disclaimer of Responsibility Form’ must be signed for certificates to be released to your student or other specified individual. This individual will only receive the envelope with certificates ordered under your family number.
- NO LATE ORDERS WILL BE PROCESSED.
- SCRIP CERTIFICATES ARE NOT RETURNABLE. PLEASE VERIFY YOUR ORDER BEFORE SUBMITTING IT.
- These gift certificates are just like cash. Once your order is picked up, you are responsible for lost, stolen, or misplaced certificates. Neither SCS, the SCRIP program, or the retailer will be held responsible.
- Anyone writing a non-sufficient fund check will incur a fee of $20.00 to be paid to the SCS SCRIP account. After two NSF checks are tendered on your SCRIP account, only money orders or cashier's checks will be accepted for payment. No further personal checks will be accepted for purchase of certificates.
- When you pick up your SCRIP certificates, open your order and verify its accuracy. Your signature on the Weekly Order Pickup List indicates you have received your order in its entirety. If you should find a discrepancy, contact the SCRIP committee immediately.